Nendrum Monastic Site. This fine example of an island monastery was traditionally founded in the 5th century by St Machaoi. There are documentary references from the 7th-century until 976AD when the Abbot was burned in his house, perhaps in a Viking raid. A small Benedictine cell was founded here in the late-12th century. The Monastery was documented as a parish church in 1306, but abandoned for a mainland site at Tullynakill during the 15th century. The site was ‘lost’ until the mid-19th century when the eminent ecclesiastical historian William Reeves, searching for the churches recorded in 1306, visited the island to look at a ‘lime kiln’ which he recognised as the remains of a round tower. Major restoration work was carried out on the site following excavations in the 1920’s.